Exit permit

Why are pre-enlistees subject to exit control measures?

Exit control measures are necessary to ensure that individuals who go overseas remain contactable to facilitate National Service administration. They also serve as a psychological reminder of one's NS obligations.

How does the exit control measures affect me?
Exit control measures will apply to you:
  • if you are 13 years old and above, and
  • if you leave Singapore for 3 months or longer.
Find out more on Exit Permit.
FAQs on Going Overseas (NS Portal)
FAQs on Exit Controls (iMINDEF)

Registration / Deferment / Pre-enlistment Documentation

On what basis is deferment allowed?

Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singaporean citizens and permanent residents are liable to serve National Service (NS) upon reaching 18 years of age. In determining when a person is to be enlisted, MINDEF considers two main factors:

  • The need to enlist NS-liable males for rigorous military training while they are young and fit and
  • The need to preserve equity in terms of educational attainment before NS.

MINDEF exercises flexibility by granting deferment from full-time NS for those pursuing full-time studies up to G.C.E 'A' levels, polytechnic diploma or their equivalent before enlisting them for NS. Hence, NS-liable males are enlisted at the earliest opportunity after turning 18 or when they have finished such courses, whichever is later.

By enlisting NS-liable males after they have attained a common educational qualification, we would also be able to build on the strong bonds that have been formed in school as such bonds form the basis of a cohesive fighting force.

MINDEF will not grant deferment for university studies. Those pursuing university studies will be enlisted at the earliest opportunity upon turning age 18. This policy applies to all who are liable for NS.

Can I defer if I am studying private courses?
You will be granted deferment to pursue full-time courses at private institutions, not leading to a degree qualification, if you are able to commence the course before you turn 18 years old.
Can I defer NS if I am doing a degree course?
Deferment is not allowed for full-time courses leading to a degree qualification.
More FAQs (NS Portal)


What if I have medical problems?

Before your enlistment, you’ll have to undergo medical screening . You’ll be given an appropriate Physical Employment Status (PES) based on your medical condition. Your PES grading, among other factors, will determine the type of training you’ll subsequently go through.

I have a new medical condition, what should I do?
As your new medical condition may affect your PES grading, please contact CMPB for a medical review. Do bring along relevant document(s) to facilitate the medical review.
What is a Letter of Identity (LOI)?
An LOI waives consultation and investigative fees up to the point of diagnosis at government hospitals. If you are graded PES D, you may be requested by CMPB to undergo further diagnosis at these hospitals. CMPB will issue you the first LOI in person. You’ll need to use the Medical Referral Management System to apply for additional LOIs, if required.
What if I am obese?

We strongly encourage you to start controlling your diet and do some light exercises regularly and consistently, so that you’ll have an easier time adjusting to life in NS.

At the end of the medical screening , your PES will be BP (obese). In NS itself, your basic training (BMT/BPT/BRT) will be much longer than the usual.

This gives you more time to lose weight and get fit in a safe manner.

What if I am unfit?

If you are physically unfit — you did not achieve the NAPFA ‘Gold’ or ‘Silver’ standard — you will have to go through 1 month of physical training before BMT starts.

This phase, called the Physical Training Phase (PTP) focuses on physical training that will build up your fitness, especially your arm strength and stamina.

The training will be progressive but tough. And you can expect to see improvements to your fitness.

More FAQs (NS Portal)

Pre-Enlistee IPPT

What are the changes to pre-enlistee fitness testing?
With effect from 1 March 2015, the three-station Pre-Enlistee Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT) will be used to assess pre-enlistment fitness. Pre-enlistees who attain 61 points or more from the three IPPT stations in the 12 months before their enlistment date, and who are medically graded PES A/B1, will be eligible for exemption from the 8-week Physical Training Phase (PTP).

Pre-enlistees can refer to the IPPT scoring table for the number of points they can attain for performing a specific number of sit-ups and push-ups, and for completing the 2.4km run in a specific timing. The maximum score is 25 points for the sit-up and push-up stations, and 50 points for the 2.4km run. The minimum score for each station is 1 point.
How did the SAF determine the eligibility criteria for the 2-month fitness incentive?
61 points is the pass standard for full-time national servicemen. To be exempted from PTP, we expect our combat fit (i.e. PES A/B1) pre-enlistees to possess this fitness standard.
Will schools be conducting the three-station Pre-Enlistee IPPT?
To better prepare pre-enlistees for NS, starting from 2015, MOE has replaced the NAPFA pull-ups station with the push-ups station for students in the following educational institutions who are enlisting into NS:

  • Junior Colleges and Millennia Institute
  • Polytechnics
  • Institute of Technical Education

NAPFA and Pre-Enlistee IPPT Stations

Pre-Enlistee IPPT Stations NAPFA Stations for Pre-Enlistees NAPFA Stations for Other Students




Push-Up (New)

Push-Up (New)

Pull-Up (Male) / Inclined Pull-Up (Younger Male / Female)



Standing Broad Jump

Standing Broad Jump

Shuttle Run

Shuttle Run

2.4 km Run

2.4 km Run

2.4 km Run

Will NAPFA results continue to be accepted?
The six-station NAPFA results will continue to be accepted if you had taken the NAPFA earlier in your school.
Why is there a difference between the NAPFA test and Pre-Enlistee IPPT?
MOE requires the six-station NAPFA test to provide a comprehensive indicator of students’ health and performance-related fitness.

Pre-enlistees who can meet the IPPT Pass standard in the new three-station IPPT format are sufficiently physically fit to be exempted from PTP and enter directly into Basic Military Training (BMT). The SAF has in place a comprehensive combat fitness regime, which includes the IPPT, route marches and field exercises, as well as the Standard Obstacle Course, the Vocational Obstacle Course and Vocation-Related Exercises.
Are there other avenues for pre-enlistees to undergo pre-enlistment fitness testing?
You can take the three-station Pre-Enlistee IPPT every Wednesday (except public holidays) at Toa Payoh Stadium at 7.30 a.m. or 8:00 a.m.. You are required to make a booking online at the NS Portal as follows:

  • Log onto http://www.ns.sg
  • Select "Access eServices"
  • Choose "Pre-Enlistees"
  • Select "Pre-Enlistee IPPT"
  • Click on "Pre-Enlistee IPPT Booking" from the dropdown list
  • Enter your NRIC and Date of Birth and click "Login"
  • Proceed to click the test venue on the left
  • Click "Book" and fill up the information required
  • Select "Submit"
You will need to book a slot via the NS Portal latest by Tuesday before noon in order to take the test at Toa Payoh Stadium the next day. You will not be allowed to take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT at Toa Payoh Stadium without an appointment.

Should there be any changes to the test conducted at Toa Payoh Stadium due to unforeseen events, an announcement will be made on the NS Portal.

The pre-enlistment fitness test results are valid for one year.
Can I amend my booking after I have booked?
Yes, you are allowed to amend your booking before 12 pm on the day before the test date.
Can I make a few bookings together?
No, you are only allowed to make 1 booking at any one time. You can make your next booking after the test date you have booked.
Do I need to take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT?
Yes, we would encourage you to attempt the Pre-Enlistee IPPT if you are medically graded PES A or B1.
Am I required to take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT if I'm graded PES B2, C or E?
No. You are not required to take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT if you are graded PES B2, C or E.
When should I take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT?
You may wish to take the Pre-Enlistee IPPT after your pre-enlistment medical screening and at least 14 days before your enlistment date. However, we advise that you train before you attempt the test to prevent injuries.
Can I take the test after I failed the NAPFA test/Pre-Enlistee IPPT the last time?
Yes. You are allowed to retake it until you attain 61 points or better. There is no limit to the number of times you can take the test.
Can I retake only the test stations I have failed in my last attempt?
No. All the test stations must be completed in one single session.


How do I know my enlistment date?
You will receive an enlistment notice about 2 months prior to your enlistment. This notice will inform you of your enlistment date, reporting unit and address as well as the things to bring on the first day.
Can I go overseas before my enlistment date is due?

You may travel overseas before your enlistment is due but you will have to return to Singapore before the enlistment date.

Please note that you will be required to apply for an exit permit if you are travelling overseas for more than 3 months.

More FAQs (NS Portal)


I am a Permanent Resident (PR). Why do I have to serve National Service (NS)?

NS is a key institution that is vital to the security and defence of Singapore. Like citizens, PRs enjoy the socio-economic benefits of their permanent residency and are therefore required under the Enlistment Act to contribute to the country's security and defence by serving NS.

In line with the Government's talent attraction efforts, PRs who are able to contribute immediately upon the grant of PR status (commonly referred to as first generation PRs) are administratively exempted from NS. However, those who are sponsored for PR status (commonly referred to as second generation PRs) or those who acquired PR status at a young age based on their potential to contribute to Singapore are required to serve NS. These PRs enjoyed the socio-economic benefits of their PR status from a young age without immediately contributing to Singapore.

How are full-time National Servicemen assigned to the Uniformed Services (SAF/SPF/SCDF)?
The assignment of NSFs to the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF), the Singapore Police Force (SPF) and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) is based on numerous considerations such as the operational and manpower requirements of the Uniformed Services, as well as, factors such as the educational qualifications and medical fitness.
How are commanders selected upon completion of BMT?
The selection of commanders is based on a comprehensive system of assessment which include factors such as cognitive reasoning, physical fitness, peer appraisal and instructor assessment.
What if I can't swim?

If you can’t swim you’ll be placed under progressive training where qualified instructors will help you learn to swim gradually and safely.

What if someone defaults his NS duties?

National Service is governed under the Enlistment Act. If an NS-liable person refuses to serve, he will face up to 3 years’ of imprisonment and/or a fine of S$10,000, or both.

What if I don't have a bank account?
You need to apply for one, otherwise you may face difficulty in getting your monthly NSF allowance. So just hop over to your favourite bank and start an account.
What is a SingPass?
SingPass stands for 'Singapore Personal Access'. It is your common password to transact with different Government online services, including the NS Portal.
Where can I get my SingPass?

You can apply for SingPass either:

  • on the spot at the nearest SingPass reset counter location, or
  • through the 'Apply for SingPass' page located at www.singpass.gov.sg
How can I reset my password if I cannot remember it?

You can reset your SingPass immediately either:

  • on the spot at the nearest SingPass reset counter location (including CMPB), or
  • using the 'Forgot Password' function located in www.singpass.gov.sg